Leading up to the impending start of my graduate program in anthropology, I have gotten myself involved in an initiative which—based in the Department—will explore ‘real-world’ and sometimes non-academic applications of ethnographic research. While that initiative continues to be mostly under wraps because it is still taking shape, one actual research project is already underway. […]
Anthropology is, with music and mathematics, one of the few true vocations; and the anthropologist may become aware of it within himself before ever he has been taught it. (Claude Lévi-Strauss, Tristes Tropiques, 1961) It is a notable curiosity that many anthropologists who made foundational contributions to the discipline were originally trained outside of it. […]
To round out the year (and in customary fashion), here’s a quick post to list my favourite classical music releases of 2013. The picture above shows the box and looming contents of John Eliot Gardiner’s Bach Cantatas box set — which finally arrived at a ‘reasonable’ $300 in late 2013, just in time to become […]
I took the picture above in our front yard this morning. Overnight, we got the ‘great ice storm of 2013,’ 12 hours of freezing rain. It downed tree limbs and whole trees, took down power lines, destroyed cars and eavestroughs and roofs. We were mercifully spared any real damage (at least so far — we’re […]
I’ve been on ‘social media’ for quite a few years now. (I also really don’t like the term ‘social media’ because calling it media makes it seem like something you consume, like all other media.) I use Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn on a daily basis. I do so for a variety of reasons: to stay […]
At first glance, a home phone seems like a somewhat quaint, old-fashioned thing to have these days. With mobile phones everywhere, it seems unnecessary and perhaps a little wasteful. Call me nostalgic, then, but I really like to have one. I have a few specific reasons for this: calling long distance (internationally) still seems cheaper, […]
I. It reads like the grand, slightly preposterous plot of an espionage thriller. Perhaps one of those ‘grand tapestry’ style novels with lots of different characters and sub-plots, carefully unfolding towards an inevitable narrative climax. Like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, the Edward Snowden story was hard to put down from the first moment […]
I’ve previously written about a — slightly cumbersome but workable — method of avoiding data roaming charges from Canadian mobile carriers while traveling in the US. That approach remains workable but has certain limitations; most notably the fact that it doesn’t work for voice (or on smartphones at all) because — unlike the iPad — […]
Consultant, vision enabler, problem solver, facilitator, thinker, writer, reader of books and the web, aspiring anthropologist, instigator, attentive music listener, affordable audio hobbyist, blogger, vegetarian, internet dweller since 1992. Human being since 1970.
More about me on the About page.
I blog about music, technology, business, vegetarian food, politics, culture and life.
Explore my blog's themes on the About this blog page.
- Buy Nothing Day + Buy Nothing Christmas #OCCUPYXMAS http://t.co/vcTgK5sq1I about 13 hours ago from Buffer
- Hahaha, I don't think you could pay me enough: BlackBerry offers $550 to get iPhone users to switch to Passport. http://t.co/3s6EiJxlFm Nov 25, 2014 4:41 pm from Buffer
- Big, bad tech: how America’s digital capitalists are taking us all for a ride. http://t.co/sRxz7gO94e Nov 24, 2014 4:41 pm from Buffer
- Exhausted Noam Chomsky just going to try and enjoy the day for once. http://t.co/qGYvrRUwbx Nov 24, 2014 10:35 am from Buffer
- "What I learned from my summer at IDEO." http://t.co/yR4ggCgKtR Nov 23, 2014 10:18 am from Buffer
- Urban planning ideas for 2030, when billions will live in megacities. http://t.co/11gVlsKFT6 Nov 21, 2014 6:40 pm from Buffer
- Utah considers cutting off water to the NSA's monster data centre. http://t.co/Og5Kr4g11V Nov 21, 2014 4:50 pm from Buffer
- Meet the Fortune 500 companies funding the political resegregation of America. http://t.co/qpbLGoyZgE Nov 21, 2014 2:04 pm from Buffer