I can trace my recent improvements on the vegetarian cooking front to one insight in particular (thanks to the stir fry section in Heidi Swanson‘s book, credited/linked below): that almost every stove-top vegetarian dish is vastly enhanced with vegetable stock cubes. Stock cubes are magical, easy-to-apply, highly compressed morsels of savoury goodness. They can add [...]
When you don’t feel like assembling a whole lasagna, or change your mind at the last minute – this is a very tasty and healthy vegetarian pasta bake. For us, it feels a bit ‘festive’ each time we make it; as if we’re treating ourselves. 1.5 bags brown rice pasta (spirals or penne; Tinkyada is [...]
Eating healthily and losing or maintaining one’s weight are hard things to do in a busy life. We’re surrounded by fast food options everywhere: the din of junk food has become deafening, especially now that so much of it claims to be healthy (for example, Subway claims to be healthier than McDonald’s, which is objectively [...]
If you’re like me and are always looking for low-fuss lunch food that can be pre-cooked and stored in the fridge for a few days, this is a nice recipe. I use a rice cooker for it. You can definitely make this in a regular stovetop pot, but the steps are slightly different (sweat the [...]
Red kale is an interesting discovery. Not something I see very often in any of the grocery stores I frequent, even the organic ones. Our desire to include more greens in our meals often results in very ‘earthy’ tasting food – green kale, for example, is very sturdy and can be a little tough, even [...]
Earth Bowl is the yummiest, healthiest, most counter-intuitive meal imaginable. Originally published by Caroline Dupont in Enlightened Eating (an excellent, continually surprising source of vegetarian, vegan and raw food recipes and inspiration), Earth Bowl combines apples, celery and nuts into a healthy meal or snack. It could be breakfast because it has apples and nuts. [...]
4 tablespoons olive oil 1 large onion, diced 2 stalks of celery, diced 4 cloves garlic, chopped 4-6 medium yellow potatoes, diced (no need to peel) 1 pound (450g bag) green lentils, picked over and rinsed 4 vegetarian stock cubes (low-salt if possible) 6-8 cups water (you may need more – I used about 150% [...]
Software and services professional, attentive music listener, vision enabler, instigator, reader of books and the web, vegetarian, affordable audio hobbyist, thinker, writer, blogger, tinkerer, Internet dweller since 1992. Human being since 1970.
I blog about music, technology, business, vegetarian food, politics, culture and life.
More about me on the About page.
- Freestyle's kickin' in the house tonight, move your body from left to right. about 23 hours ago
- RT @remarkk: Holy crap, the Gawker journo's "Rob Ford Crackstarter" campaign is up to $33k. This is actually happening. http://t.co/02fwUUl… May 17, 2013 9:04 pm
- Blast from the past. Didn't know they still made/sold these. http://t.co/wMsLfVnGPB May 16, 2013 11:23 am
- @Daryl_Woods Good article, excellent presentation. Thx. May 16, 2013 12:28 am in reply to Daryl_Woods
- The new Daft Punk reminds me of Beastie Boys' The In Sound from Way Out. May 15, 2013 11:04 am
- At #sp_summit listening to @brianlala mesmerize the room with His SharePoint chops. May 13, 2013 1:13 pm
- This "Zuckerberg dabbles in politics" thing is both sad and somehow amusing... http://t.co/YyhG4ISJZi May 12, 2013 12:42 pm
- Anyone need a stock Intel LGA 1155 cooler/fan? Probably not but wanted to offer just in case. May 12, 2013 12:38 pm