Nerds get a bad rap. We are being made fun of for our love of, and intimate ways with, our gear. When I say ‘gear,’ I mean computers, musical instruments, stereo equipment, cameras… anything that only reveals its depth when engaged with properly, and anything where there’s always a ‘step up,’ a better version that [...]
Sometimes, the prevailing discourse on the Internet makes one want to despair. Blog post after blog post of the same drivel. It often feels as though the ‘blogosphere’ is a little like The Island, a 2005 movie where Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johannson wear futuristic clothes and live in a hermetically sealed underground compound. Everyone [...]
Robert Clayton Miller has done an excellent thing: he’s re-imagined the personal computer GUI and associated input devices in a practical, achievable, realistic way. It’s no small achievement, this: we’ve essentially been using the same lineage of human-computer interface metaphors and technologies for more than 25 years. Originally developed at Xerox PARC, Steve Jobs brought [...]
[Direct link for non-Flash devices] Here’s a new video showing BumpTop using a multi-touch screen under Windows 7. The march towards ‘tactile computing’ continues. I remain unconvinced that this is really what people want to do, for the simple reason that holding your hand/arm extended for lengthy periods like this cannot really be comfortable. My [...]
Software and services professional, attentive music listener, vision enabler, instigator, reader of books and the web, vegetarian, affordable audio hobbyist, thinker, writer, blogger, tinkerer, Internet dweller since 1992. Human being since 1970.
I blog about music, technology, business, vegetarian food, politics, culture and life.
More about me on the About page.
- Amazing architecture here (Parkroyal Hotel Pickering, Singapore). http://t.co/PMltDkL6Uc May 21, 2013 7:37 pm
- Graham Greene wrote exactly 500 words every day, even if it meant stopping in mid-sentence. (Thanks, @bingham_humber) http://t.co/2idJyYirs9 May 20, 2013 9:54 pm
- "[Gawker shows] up mainstream news outlets by delivering a master class in the new model of iterative journalism." http://t.co/9E67igshhP May 19, 2013 1:54 pm
- Freestyle's kickin' in the house tonight, move your body from left to right. May 17, 2013 11:55 pm
- RT @remarkk: Holy crap, the Gawker journo's "Rob Ford Crackstarter" campaign is up to $33k. This is actually happening. http://t.co/02fwUUl… May 17, 2013 9:04 pm
- Blast from the past. Didn't know they still made/sold these. http://t.co/wMsLfVnGPB May 16, 2013 11:23 am
- @Daryl_Woods Good article, excellent presentation. Thx. May 16, 2013 12:28 am in reply to Daryl_Woods
- The new Daft Punk reminds me of Beastie Boys' The In Sound from Way Out. May 15, 2013 11:04 am